I think it would be fair to say that my first efforts as a spinner could quite easily have been used as an emergency substitute for fencing wire.
At that stage I was pretty chuffed if I managed to produce yarn of any variety. Thick, thin, underspun, overspun. I was making actual yarn
As time wore on, I discovered that my ‘default’ setting was, and remains, fairly fine, and this was quite okay because it makes sense to try to spin the gauge of yarn that you do most of your knitting with, right? I mostly knit shawls, baby stuff and hats.
It does not, however, make for hugely noticable differences in the amount spun from one day to the next. So rather than post a bunch of nearly identical pics every day of the TDF, I’m giving them to you in batches.
You’ve already seen my ‘progress’ on day 1, so here’s the what’s happened since then:
Day 3: [ ever so slightly more of the same ]
Day 4 [ yadayada ]
and then, when the desired length is reached, the whole lot, along with the bobbin I started at LAST year’s TDF, gets fed through the wheel again, but with it rotating backwards, so that the two ‘singles’ [ each one is referred to as a singles. I don’t know why. They just ARE ] get plied around each other. So that’s another almost 350 metres of spinning.
So by Day 5, it looks like this
which has since been: wound off onto a niddy-noddy, skeined up, soaked, whacked into submission on the side of the bath, and is currently drying gently by the wood heater.
Tens of dozens of hours work. 347.5 metres of yarn weighing in at 90 grams.
To put it into perspective, this is enough to knit an average sized lace shawl.
Based on last year, I thought that would take me the whole three weeks of Le Tour.
I hadn’t really thought any further ahead as to what I’d spin next but there’s no lack of suitable candidates in the stash room, so a bit of rummaging around unnearthed a pretty braid of merino/bamboo that i’d pretty much forgotten about.
I’m back on the bike for the next Stage,